Saturday, October 10, 2009

my yoga story...

yoga has literally changed my life...

i use to be fatigued all the time, stressed out, suffered from mild insomnia, back pain, knee pain, neck pain, and hip pain. i lived on pain killers, icy hot, heating pads, and massages from my husband. i also didn't like myself or my body, my esteem was pretty much non-existent.

then one day i decided to go take a yoga class at the local gym. little did i know that this gym trip would change everything. i fell in love with everything that is yoga. from the stretching, toning, de-stressing, everything! shortly after that first class i went about becoming a certified yoga instructor. i wanted to help people feel as good as i did after a session.

once i got my certification things slowly started to change and evolve in my life. i was no longer living on pain killers, icy hot, heating pads, or massages (all though the occasional one is still a nice treat!). i was able to move more freely, and was eventually able to touch my toes! (this was a big day for me lol.) but not only did the pain start to go, but my self image started to change. i now cared about my body, what was put in it, how i treated, no longer taking advantage of it. i began to respect my body and truly listen to it.

in addition to all of the above, i also began to tone my muscles, build strength and stamina, increase my flexibilty, and even lose weight! (i have to this day lost about 30 pounds since april 2009 with just yoga.) i usually do a higher impact yoga session at least 3-5 times a week, and also do restorative and in-between the two throughout the week as well.

it's funny how much my life has changed in such a short period of time. to really bring my point home, here are some before and after shots (i need to get a more current after as i lost a few more pounds since it was taken lol).


BEFORE




AFTER


thank you for taking the time to read my story. i would love to hear your stories, thoughts, comments, etc.

have a wonderful weekend!

namaste'
april

*** UPDATE 10/16/09: i just took some waist, chest, and hip measurements today. I use to be 32/33 chest, 34 for waist, and about 36 in hips. Now I am: 32 chest, 26 3/4 waist, and 36 hips.


*** UPDATE 12/27/09: recent measurements: chest- 31, waist- 26, hips- 36

***** UPDATE 1/20/10: chest- 30 (above boobs) 28 (below boobs), waist- 25, hips- 36

No comments:

Post a Comment